November 1944. On the flooded isle of Walcheren, Zeeland, thousands of Allied soldiers are battling the German army. Three young lives become inextricably connected. A Dutch boy fighting for the Germans, an English glider pilot, and a girl from Zeeland connected to the resistance against her will are forced to make critical choices that impact both their own freedom and the freedom of others.
Language: English- Dutch- German – subtitles: English
On the flooded isle of Walcheren, Zeeland, thousands of allied soldiers are battling the German army. The ‘Battle of the Scheldt’ took place in the autumn of 1944 in Zeeland and West-Brabant and cost more than 10,000 people their lives. This battle, which was decisive for the course of the Second World War, is known as one of the most important and fiercest battles in Western Europe. Yet little attention has been paid to it over the years.
With a budget of 14 million euros, The Forgotten Battle is one of the most expensive Dutch films ever made. It was made to celebrate 75 years of peace and to make a younger generation aware of what happened during WWII.
Educational material has been made for this film and can be found here.
- Winner of the Platina Film Award of the Netherlands Film Festival, an award for movies that surpass 400,000 visitors in cinema.
- Five Dutch Gouden Kalveren for Best Camera, Best Sound Design, Best Production Design, Best Costume Design and Best Editing.
“…perhaps the best Dutch war film so far.” Trouw.
“What unfolds is a realistic, convincing set during the final days of World War II.” De Filmkrant.
This film will be shown at Filmhuis De Zwarte Doos. Buying a ticket online in advance is necessary. You can buy a ticket via the black “order” button on this page.
Please note: you can only buy a ticket online; tickets are not purchasable with cash or bank card at the ticket counter.
You can find more general info about tickets, refund policy etc. here.
We kindly ask you to be at the ticket counter when it opens 15 minutes prior to the start of the film. This is to ensure the film starts and ends on time.
To attend this film, you will need to show:
- A valid admission ticket.
- A COVID certificate (proof of vaccination, a negative test result or proof of recovery in the CoronaCheck app).
- Your ID.
- If you are a student, you also need to bring your student ID card. The COVID certificate will be checked at the entrance of restaurant De Zwarte Doos; the admission ticket will be checked upstairs at the entrance of the film hall.
Further information about CoronaCheck can be found here.