A few weeks after finishing his memoir, neuroscientist Oliver Sacks discovers that a rare form of cancer has returned. He has only a few months left to live. A month later, he allows himself to be interviewed about his life and work, supported by his loved ones and his notebooks, resulting in this beautiful documentary.
Language: English – subtitles: Dutch
The film explores the life and work of this legendary neurologist and storyteller as he shares intimate details about his battles with drug addiction, homophobia, and a medical establishment that accepted his work only decades after the fact.
Sacks, known for his literary works ‘Awakenings’ and ‘The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat’, was a fearless explorer of unknown cognitive worlds, who helped redefine our understanding of the brain and mind, the diversity of human experience, and our shared humanity.
The film features exclusive interviews with Sacks conducted just weeks after he received a terminal diagnosis and months prior to his death in August 2015.
- Winner of the Audience Award for Best Documentary at the Hamptons International Film Festival 2019.
- Winner of the Best of the Fest Audience Vote at Palm Springs International Film Festival 2020.
“This documentary about the famed neurologist and author is one of the loveliest and most thought-provoking films of 2021.” Evening Standard.
“[…] beautiful and honest study of an amazing man.” The Guardian.
“A portrait of the poetic neurologist of 'Awakenings,' shot at the end of his life, takes a tender and thrilling look at the sacred demons that drove him.” Variety.
This film will be shown at Filmhuis De Zwarte Doos. Buying a ticket online in advance is necessary. You can buy a ticket via the black “order” button on this page.
Please note: you can only buy a ticket online; tickets are not purchasable with cash or bank card at the ticket counter.
You can find more general info about tickets, refund policy etc. here.
We kindly ask you to be at the ticket counter when it opens 15 minutes prior to the start of the film. This is to ensure the film starts and ends on time.
To attend this film, you will need to show:
- A valid admission ticket.
- A COVID certificate (proof of vaccination, a negative test result or proof of recovery in the CoronaCheck app).
- Your ID.
- If you are a student, you also need to bring your student ID card. The COVID certificate will be checked at the entrance of restaurant De Zwarte Doos; the admission ticket will be checked upstairs at the entrance of the film hall.
Further information about CoronaCheck can be found here.